Tales from the World of Retail

Thursday, July 13, 2006

"Do You Have a Plastic Bag?"

A man approached me and asked, "Do you have a plastic bag?" We're not allowed to give out store bags without a purchase, so I started to say no, but then I remembered seeing him with a baby earlier.....and an awful thought occurred to me.

With great trepidation and (hopefully) disguised disgust, I asked, "Is this for a dirty diaper?"

"Um, yeah."

I handed him a garbage bag and he went on his merry way.

But here's thing: If you need to change your kid, shouldn't you go to a bathroom? And if you commonly change your baby's diaper in the middle of a store, shouldn't you carry something to put the dirty diaper into? Or at least go outside and throw the diaper into the trash bin!

3 Comments:

Blogger Pedicularis said...

Yuk. Don't tell me what kind of dirty diaper it was, I don't want to know. In the good old days, we used cloth diapers, so we never threw them away, and so we were always prepared to carry them home with us. Modern Americans are so, wasteful.

July 13, 2006 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear!

They also seem to act as if they have a right to make themselves comfortable anywhere. I've had to see people FLOSS in public, as well as sit on the floor, and use the world as their trashcan. Don't even get me started on loud cellphone conversations.

July 14, 2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger mamurd said...

Today I saw a woman putting on deodorant in the middle of the store!

July 15, 2006 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home