Tales from the World of Retail

Monday, September 18, 2006

Why Do You Care What I Think? (Take 2)

A woman approached the counter to be rung up. As I was scanning her items and putting them into a bag, she was trying to decide on her last item. She had four identical items that she was trying to choose from. They were exactly the same, except they had slightly different designs on them. She eventually cut it down to two, but still couldn't decide. Finally, she showed them to me and asked, "Which one do you like better?"

Why???

Why would she care I what my opinion was? I wasn't the one spending money on it. I wasn't the one who would be taking it home. I wouldn't be using it. I wouldn't be seeing it every day. Why did she care what my preference was?

3 Comments:

Blogger Pedicularis said...

Some of us have a difficult time making decisions, especially meaningless decisions like hers. She wanted you to flip the coin for her. Next time, offer her a coin to flip. :)

September 19, 2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger mamurd said...

Yeah, but I really, really don't like the product. I couldn't bring myself to pick one or the other.

September 19, 2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger Pedicularis said...

LOL :)

Now that is what I call being between a rock and hard place!

September 19, 2006 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home