Tales from the World of Retail

Monday, July 17, 2006

"I Think I'll Use My Credit Card..."

I threatened to make today's post about how mean Tofutti Cutie is to me, but....



I rang up a man. His total came to $12.32. He fished around in his wallet for a loooong time, before (finally!) producing 32 cents. He set the quarter, nickel, and two pennies on the counter, and went back to his wallet. He dug for a bit, pulled out a $5 bill, and set it on the counter. He went back to his wallet, dug for a little while longer, found another $5 bill, started to set it down, then said, "I think I'll use my credit card." (I could see he had a $20 bill in his wallet.) He continued, "I get frequent flier miles when I use my credit card, so I try to use it as much as possible." He then put the $5 bill in his hand back in his wallet, picked up the $5 on the counter and put it in his wallet, picked up the nickel and put it in his wallet, picked up one penny and put it in wallet, picked up the other penny and put it in his wallet, and (finally!) picked up the quarter and put it in his wallet. Then he handed my his credit card.

Longest. Transaction. Ever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pedicularis said...

I know you don't know, but why didn't he give you the credit card to process before he picked up all his money? Or, why didn't he give you $20.32 and accept a few bills in change? I hope there were not many other customers waiting.

July 18, 2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger mamurd said...

Tofutti-Yeah, I'm like that, too. I often hold onto my receipt until I leave the register area, and then put in my wallet.

Ped-All of your questions were running through my head while I waited. And waited. And waited. Luckily, there weren't any other customers.

July 18, 2006 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home