Tales from the World of Retail

Monday, July 31, 2006

Unsigned Credit Cards

It never ceases to amaze me that some people think that not signing their credits cards will protect them from thieves. It's fine if that's their way of making cashiers check their photo ID, but I've had many customers with unsigned credit cards get snippy with me for asking to see their ID. I had one woman icily tell me that she didn't sign it so that no one could steal her signature. But if she leaves it blank, any thief can sign their signature to the card and use it easily!

2 Comments:

Blogger nixwilliams said...

i know, so true. i always, always check signiatures, and i do ask people to re-sign if it doesn't match (i've never had someone not match on a second try). some people get narky about that, too, and i wonder if they'd be happier if i didn't check...?

i hate it when people don't check mine.

sorry for crashing your blog, i was just doing abit of random surfing.

August 01, 2006 12:06 AM  
Blogger mamurd said...

No problem. In fact, welcome!

I've got "See ID" written on my cards. It's amazing how many clerks just swipe the card and hand back -- without even looking at the back! Grrr...

August 01, 2006 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home