Tales from the World of Retail

Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Tale from the Other Side...

My friend Jack suggested I occasionally include a story from the customer's side. Recently Sotosoroto had an, umm, "interesting" experience. Here's Soto:




I went to REI last week to buy some trail maps for an upcoming hike and a
pair of sunglasses as a birthday present for my father. I found the maps
quick enough, then wandered the store looking for the sunglasses section.
Eventually, I found it right beside the maps. D'oh!

After staring at the sunglasses in their glass case for most of a minute,
an employee asked me if I want to try any on. I asked for a couple of
them, he took them out, and then he wandered to the other side of the
area. One of them I liked, but I wanted to try others, too.

I waved the same guy back and got him to take out a couple more pairs.
He then wandered away again. I finally decided on the first pair and had
to get the employee to come back and get one of the boxed pairs out of a
different cabinet.

As he handed me the box, he asked if I was done shopping and if I wanted
him to ring me up there. I said yes and we went over to the cash
register. While he did the business with my credit card, I opened the
box and made sure the glasses are in proper condition. They were.

Before I finished putting the glasses back in the box, the employee
handed me the receipt to sign and asked me if I wanted a bag. As I
signed, I said, "yes." I handed him the signed receipt, put it and my
credit card in my wallet, and returned to closing up the box.

The employee took a small paper bag from under the counter and set it on
the counter. He then left. And by "left," I mean that he walked out of
the sunglasses area and far away across the store.

On the counter in front of me were my maps (left disorganized after he
scanned them), a closed paper bag, and the sunglasses in their box.

How's that for customer service?

As he walked away, I said loud enough for other people to hear, "And I'd
also like you to put my purchases in the bag, thank you."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a certain family resemblance to your snark...

Thanks for a customer-side view, though I love your retail stories.

August 28, 2006 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home