Tales from the World of Retail

Friday, January 26, 2007

Nonsensical Change

A customer's total came to $8.65. She handed me $10.25. English was clearly not her first language, so I thought she might be confused about our money. (Foreigners are often confused about our coins. Understandably, in my opinion, since our coins don't have numbers on them.) I asked her if she meant to give me ten dollars and twenty-five cents. She said she did.

So... She gave me a ten dollar bill and a quarter. And I gave her one dollar, two quarters, and a dime back in change.

Huh?

3 Comments:

Blogger Pedicularis said...

LOL

And you counted it back to her: a dime is $8.75, a quarter makes $9, a dollar makes $10, and a quarter makes $10.25?

Did you give her back the same quarter, or did you mix hers into the drawer before pulling out the new quarters? :)

January 28, 2007 11:05 PM  
Blogger mamurd said...

I dropped her quarter in the till before pulling out two. What can I say, I'm a creature of habit!

January 30, 2007 11:35 PM  
Blogger Sotosoroto said...

Maybe she was hoping for a fifty-cent piece?

February 14, 2007 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home