Tales from the World of Retail

Friday, December 22, 2006

Another Tale From The Other Side...

My dad passed on this story to me:

I had a pleasant shopping experience at Macy’s in Bellevue the other day.  I went to the women’s section and asked for something they did not have.  One of the clerks (the one who seemed more experienced) left her post and walked halfway across the store to show me to the correct section, while jokingly saying she doubted they had what I was looking for.  I thanked her, and found something close to what I wanted. It wasn't quite right, so I asked for help. Unfortunately, that woman told me I needed to speak with so and so, who was busy at the checkout stand.  When she was free, she took me almost directly to what I wanted.  Then I went to another area of the store (jewelry), and had two young women help me pick out something nice.  This time it was the one who said she was “temporary” that was most helpful.  This all occurred at about 7 PM during the Christmas rush. 

Oddly (in this predominantly white Pacific Northwest), none of these six pleasant and helpful women were white (I’d guess they were American black (walked with me), African black, Chinese, Filipino (Asian named Maria), Vietnamese (I saw her last name), and generic Asian (meaning I am not astute enough to pick her nationality, but she was perhaps Korean). 




 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I know, does he have to return the jewelry?

December 22, 2006 9:15 PM  
Blogger mamurd said...

I wondered about that, but he told me to post it!

December 23, 2006 9:29 PM  
Blogger Sotosoroto said...

Ah, but you don't know what *kind* of jewelry, so it's all okay.

December 24, 2006 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home