Tales from the World of Retail

Friday, December 15, 2006

Ood

I've always thought I had a decent ear for accents, but I had a woman stump me the other day. She came up to me and asked if we had anything "ood".

Ood? To rhyme with food? Huh?

I asked her if it was a name brand. She said it wasn't. I asked her if it was the name of a particular item. She said no. Frustrated, she asked me to follow her so she could show me what she was talking about.

I followed her and she pointed to an item on the shelf. She said "ood" again. The item she was pointing to was made of wood. I said, "Wood?"

"Ood," she agreed.

What was particularly weird was that her English seemed pretty good. I guess she just couldn't distinguish between wood and ood.

2 Comments:

Blogger mamurd said...

We have a lot of "ood", but not the kind she wanted.

December 16, 2006 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was she a native Japanese speaker? I noticed that some of them have trouble pronouncing word-initial 'w' sounds.

January 05, 2007 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home