Tales from the World of Retail

Saturday, July 14, 2007

"Just Point Me in the Right Direction."

I'm starting to get annoyed with people who tell me that.

They come up to me, ask me where something is, and then when I start to lead them to the item, they say, "Just point me in the right direction."

They're probably trying to be nice. But it bugs. Why?

Because if I could "point you in the right direction", I would. Trust me. I do it all the time for things nearby. But for items further away.... Well, our store is rather maze-ish. There aren't aisles and there aren't easy points of reference. The only way to give directions is to use our internal lingo (e.g. "It's in the twenty-six corner, where the ___ used to be.") which would be completely useless to a customer. So I walk them to the item in question.

By the way, I used to work at a bookstore that had clearly labeled aisles. 4B, 22A, etc. If someone asked me for, say, art books, I would tell them the aisle number/section. Half the time they still couldn't find it. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home