Tales from the World of Retail

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Why Read a Sign When You Can Trip Over It?

One of our entrances has an inner and an outer door. When we close them, we put a sign in front of the inner door (saying "Please exit through the front door"), lock the outer door, and then lock the inner door. When I was new I didn't put the sign out until I was done locking both doors, but one day I had people come through the inner door after I'd locked the outer door, so I learned my lesson -- put the sign out!

Tonight, however, the sign didn't work. I was just about the lock the inner door when I saw a woman walk into the sign, glance down at it, and walk towards the door like she was going to leave. Obviously she didn't read the sign. Not sure why not, since she, you know, walked into it.

Sigh.

I explained that I had already locked up, politely pointed out the sign (that she had just run into), and told her how to find the front door. As she left, she made some comment about how she had thought it was weird that "that" (i.e. the sign) was in the way like that.

Yeah. That's because we want you to read it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Pedicularis said...

Sounds like you have some your intellectually challenged patrons??

Some people can only read BIG signs with RED letters posted at eye level on tall stands.

June 22, 2007 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home